A Level- Music Promo Video

I am going to create a music video promoting a "new single" I will use this blog to show all my research and development.

Monday 2 May 2011

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

I feel that the combination of my Music Video, Promotional Poster and Album Digi-Pack wok together effectively as they all hold the same theme of paper scraps and handwriting and have been edited to match up.
My music video follows the lyrics of the song with writing and actions, it doesn't appear to have a clear acted narrative, band playing or even an artist shown like most music videos do, I felt the focus should be on the song and the meaning behind the lyrics, I gave my video an underlined narrative of closure as the song Skinny Love is about a failing, broken relationship. I used torn up notes to portray a bitter end to a relationship, the way they've been torn up and burnt give closure to whomever is doing so. I gave my video a edgy vintage style by using brightness and contrast to make things bold, as it was based on writing I had to make sure it was dark and clear to stand out. I also turned the saturation down a tiny bit after turning the color temperature up for a burnt effect to make it look dated. I think my video challenges the conventions of typical Music videos by focusing on meanings and lyrics in a more abstract unclear way.
My poster is an image from the video, with the artist and song name added in. The editing is the same as the film, high brightness and contrast with a slight saturation and color temperature turned up for a burnt yet dated style. This works well as part of the package because it it clearly matched to the other products, you wouldn't even have to read the poster to know it goes with the Music video, Same method goes for my Digi pack as the album art matches the poster along with a heart drawing from the music video (gets cut up) on the inside left, Scrap papers with the lyrics written on them for the inside right, and for the back cover and tracklist the pieces are lined up with the song names handwritten on them, burnt edges on the pieces to match the narrative of the video. Same method of editing as the video and poster.
To conclude I definitely feel the combination is effective, they all match with similar imagery and editing so audiences will know the theme and recognize it for Skinny love.

No comments:

Post a Comment