A Level- Music Promo Video

I am going to create a music video promoting a "new single" I will use this blog to show all my research and development.

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Analysis- Laura Marling "New Romantic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxar07_9YA&feature=channel

Embedding was disabled on youtube so I have provided the link instead.
This is the official music video for "New Romantic" by folk artist Laura Marling.


  • The cinematography is very simple, close ups of artists face- many music video producers use this to promote the artist, keep them in the limelight of the video. Also mid shots and long shots to show what is going on around Laura, shadows on walls and floor. There are also some close ups of the shadows themselves as they are imagery that matches the song and lyrics creating the narrative.
  • The lighting is key in this music video as it is all about use of shadows, the lighting is very spotlight and artificial, spotlight is always on Laura and also a spotlight for where the silhouette is. Each silhouette matches the lyric for that part of the song for example the opening lines "I know I said I love you" I LOVE YOU is floating across the background, "But I'm thinking I was wrong" A cross comes across Laura's top half representing the negativity. "I'm the first to admit that I'm Still Pretty Young" YOUNG floats across behind her, "And I never meant to hurt you and I wrote you ten love songs" Now the camera has moved to the side of Laura and love heart shaped musical notes represent the "songs". Also the silhouette of the guitar strings being played match the acoustic style of the song. This use of silhouette/shadow is something I would like to try for my own video.
  • Laura stays in the same costume of black skinny jeans and a grey long sleeved top throughout the video and stays sat in the same place on a stool in the middle of a dimly lit plain room. The use of dark colours and plain walls make the silhouettes and Laura's blonde hair and pale face the main focus of the video, the idea is that the shadows tell the story. 
  • The song is about falling in and out of love, she makes a boy leave a girl for her, falls out of love with him and in love with a friend, but doesn't really mean to hurt anyone. I think "new romantic" may represent being with someone and not feeling the same way for them? Its about how confusing "young" love can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment