A Level- Music Promo Video

I am going to create a music video promoting a "new single" I will use this blog to show all my research and development.

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Analysis- Darwin Deez "Radar Detector"



This is the official music video for "Radar Detector" By American Indie Folk artist Darwin Deez.


  • The cinematography again is very simple, mainly long, mid or close up shots of Darwin and a model like girl. However there is one sequence where he has created a disposable camera helmet and can take pictures from all angles, as he takes snapshots of location he has turned to a different angle, so when sped up in editing he is spinning on the spot and the location changes. Then photos are put together in a circle and moved around to show an all around view of the locations, This is something I want to try myself for my video. 
  • There is alot of editing in this video the background is constantly changing colour, or there is a very artificial photo background used for example space, a desert, and a road It is supposed to have a low budget style to it. I like the style of the disposable camera photos also. Colour is used alot in this video for background especially and also objects like the lilo's and feathers thrown around at times, They are all "ice cream" 50's style colours.
  • The costumes in this video change quite alot, for Darwin himself and also for the girl used in the video for example the sequence of her sat in the same place but her make up, clothes and hair is changing, this would be an interesting idea to try out myself. I think the video is based around inventions for example the camera machine, fork fangs, drink dispenser ect. and I really liked the idea of the type writer that was writing out the lyrics this is definitely an idea I want to take into my own video. 
  • Another thing I really liked was the opening introduction of waffle pieces spelling DARWIN DEEZ IN RADAR DETECTOR, it links loosely to the Napoleon dynamite idea I planned to use where food is used as opening titles.
  • The only part where image matched lyrical content was the line "Im driving.." and they were in a kiddies car going along a fake background road. Alot of the rest was just artistic, however a "radar detector" sounds like a strange invention so this links with the props used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment